Thursday, April 8, 2010

Planted Tank


I decided to say out with the plastic decorations and in with the plants. I went to my local fish shop and purchased some low light plants. I got an Amazon Sword, a bunch of Anacharis, and used some old driftwood to give my tank the natural look.

I set up the tank in a couple of steps. First, I rinsed the driftwood. This is very important to get any chemicals, dirt, or natural coloring out of the wood. This process usually takes about fifteen minutes; I simply rotate the driftwood in front of the hot water coming from the shower head until I feel that it is ready. Then I place the driftwood in the filled tank; typically, I secure the driftwood with heavy rocks to keep it from floating. Sometimes the wood can take months to become waterlogged and sink without reinforcement.

- For natural driftwood that isn't treated in a fish store, it is best to treat it with hot or boiling water to kill any microorganisms that may cause complications with the fish.

- Note that the aquarium may turn brown from the leeching of the wood. This is perfectly normal. If regular water changes are performed, the abnormal color will dissipate in a few weeks. The picture of the tank with the Butterfly Koi displays the leeching effect of new driftwood.

No comments:

Post a Comment