Sunday, March 28, 2010

Algae, Algae, Algae


The only bit of space I had for the tank, was a spot in front of a window facing south. Naturally I was expecting some algae growth. Algae is considered a Photoautotroph (meaning it takes energy from the sunlight to make food), and the direct sunlight the aquarium gets definitely promotes algae growth. I have scrubbed the tank multiple times, and I have limited the amount of natural light the tank has been getting. I decided to bring in the big gun, I went to my local fish shop and purchased a Plecostomus. They had albinos in stock, so I decided to get one.

It has since fit in great with the guppies. Initially the pleco would only clean at night, but recently it comes out in daylight as well. The algae is still present but not to the same degree. I am still considering a second pleco, but I wont purchase another until I have more "hiding spots" in the tank. With my experience keeping plecos, I have observed them to be territorial with other members of the same species. Often times the bigger pleco will inhabit the "better hiding spot" and push the smaller/ weaker one out to seek a new refuge.

No comments:

Post a Comment