Thursday, March 25, 2010

My Start to the Hobby


I am a college student with a love of freshwater fish. I have had aquariums for years, and it is always been something enjoyable for me! Not only do I spend days and nights observing fish in my home aquariums, but I also spend time diving down and experiencing natures' own tank with my scuba certification. No matter how busy I may be with my school studies, I always seem to sneak away to my local fish shops to pursue a different kind of study: that of the fish, the plants, and the truly living art of the tank. How do I treat that? Will that fish mix well with this one? How do I grow this? How do I stop the growth of that? These are some of the questions I have answered and I am still trying to answer.

From the first documented cases of fish keeping by the Romans, to the coinage of the word aquarium by Phillip Henry Gosse, there have been many people that have tried and failed at keeping freshwater aquariums. As Sir Isaac Newton one said, "We stand on the shoulders of giants," that is especially true with us Aquarists. We must learn to ask questions and to learn from each others mistakes. If one Aquarist loses a fish because of salt concentration or finds a new way of treating a fish disease , he must provide others with that information. That is my purpose in writing this blog. I hope others follow the progression of my tank and learn from my triumphs, and avoid the mistakes I have made.

No comments:

Post a Comment