Sunday, March 28, 2010

Pregnant Female Guppies



About two weeks after I set up the tank, a female Guppy was lingering near the heater (a telltale sign of pregnancy). Although the gestation period for a guppy is usually between 20 days and a month, this guppy had been pre-hit by another male guppy in the fish store. I wanted to keep the babies alive the cheap way, so I built a little device to prevent her from eating the fry. I simply took a Tupperware bowl and placed two plastic plants into it. The plastic plants will provide a refuge for the fry as they desperately try to escape "mom", (and I thought my folks gave it to me bad). I generally try to keep the female well fed while she is in the breeder to prevent the ravenous case of the munchies she gets after the fry are dropped.

It will float, but If you need a little bit of tape to secure the breeder to the side of the tank, don't be hesitant to use it. I also make sure I replace the water in the breeder every other day with the tank water.

No comments:

Post a Comment